Job Title City Treasurer
Grade 20 FLSA - Exempt
Responsible To City Council
Provide administrative direction to all municipal financial activities, and supervise the staff of the Finance Department, Court and Water Billing Departments. Serve as Human Resource Director, make recommendations regarding policy revisions and job descriptions as needed, provide counseling and assistance to department heads in personnel management. Administer employee benefits programs. Serve as Investment Officer. Attend continuing education training and other course work related to these job functions. Maintain certification as Texas Certified Government Finance Officer. Performs duties as as provided by City Charter or required by City Council in coordination with City Manager.
- Serve as City Treasurer and supervisor of Finance Department. Produce accurate and complete financial statements, develop and administer policies for appropriate risk control and protection of City assets. Provide investment activities for all City funds. Assist City Manager in budget preparation.
- Serve as Human Resources Director. Provide guidance and consultation to department heads and supervisors in hiring, evaluating, disciplinary and termination procedures. Counsel with employees as needed.
- File worker’s compensation claims, supplemental reports, provide guidance to department heads and supervisors on timely reporting and modified duty assignments, testify in appeal cases and maintain files.
- Serve as primary contact for Texas Municipal League. File liability claims, monitor claim through closure, maintain files.
- File responses to Texas Workforce Commission for unemployment benefit claims, provide documentation and testify in appeal cases.
- Supervise and evaluate staff of the Finance Department, Municipal Court, and the Water Billing Departments. Develop cross-training program and oversee its implementation.
- Implement and oversee the accuracy of the City’s inventory asset listing. Administer risk control procedures to protect City assets, i.e. random cash counts, daily cash reconciliation, security, and inventory control.
- Establish policies and procedures for all accounting systems, data processing, cash receipts and daily reconciliation.
- Use tact, diplomacy and helpful attitude in all contacts with public, media, other departments and governmental agencies.
- Must be bondable.
- Provide backup to City Clerk for all duties including, but not limited to: record keeping; creation and posting of agendas; meeting minutes; notice publication; elections; cemetery and airport management; and oath administration.
Required Education, Certificates, and/or Licenses and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent, licenses, college courses or related course work in public administration, business management or accounting. Preference will be given to CPA or Bachelor
Degree in accounting.
- Three years of progressive governmental accounting and public administration management
- Texas Government Finance Officer Certification or ability to obtain within four years of hire.