TO APPLY FOR A PERMIT TO BURN, YOU MAY COME IN TO CITY HALL DURING REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS AND APPLY, and PAY YOUR FEE. FOR INFORMATION CALL 903-845-2196.
ALL OUTDOOR BURNING WITHIN THE INCORPORATED CITY LIMITS OF GLADEWATER IS PROHIBITED UNLESS PROVIDED FOR BY EXCEPTION AS LISTED BELOW:
THE FOLLOWING FIRES ARE ALLOWED WITHOUT A PERMIT
- Recreational or ceremonial fires or fires used for the noncommercial preparation of food or specifically used for providing warmth in cold weather are allowed without a permit IF the fire is no larger than 2 feet by 3 feet.
THE FOLLOWING FIRES MAY BE ALLOWED WITH AN APPROVED PERMIT. (PERMIT MUST BE PURCHASED FROM GLADEWATER CITY HALL. PERMIT IS VALID FOR ONE DAY ONLY.)
- Outdoor burning for agricultural purposes or land clearing for the purpose of new construction
- Outdoor burning of trees, brush or other plant growth, which originated on the property, may be permitted IF the burn area is no closer than 100 feet from any residence, street or road.
THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY FOR ALL OUTDOOR BURNING
- Burning shall not be commenced when surface wind speed is predicted to be less than six mph or greater than 15 mph during the burn period.
- Wind direction and other meteorological conditions shall be such that smoke and other pollutants will not cause adverse effects to any public road, landing strip, navigable water, or off-site structure containing sensitive receptor(s).
- If at any time the burning causes or may tend to cause smoke to blow onto or across a road or highway, it is the responsibility of the person initiating the burn to post flag persons on affected roads.
- The initiation of burning shall commence no earlier than one hour after sunrise. Burning shall be completed on the same day not later than one hour before sunset and shall be attended by a responsible party at all times during the active burn phase when the fire is progressing.
- Burning shall not be conducted during periods of actual or predicted persistent low-level atmospheric temperature inversions.
- Electrical insulation, treated lumber, plastics, non-wood construction/demolition materials, heavy oils, asphaltic materials, potentially explosive materials, chemical wastes, and items containing natural or synthetic rubber must not be burned.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONSEQUENCES OF OUTDOOR BURNING
The authority to conduct outdoor burning under a City permit does not exempt or excuse any person responsible from the consequences, damages, or injuries, resulting from the burning and does not exempt or excuse anyone from complying with all other applicable laws and ordinances, regulations and order of governmental entities having jurisdiction, even though the burning is otherwise conducted in compliance with this permit.
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT PERMITS AND BURNING INSIDE THE CITY LIMITS OF GLADEWATER PLEASE CONTACT THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AT 903-845-2484.