Election Identification Certificate (EIC)
Now Required for Texas Voters
Texas voters must show a photo ID to vote in elections in Texas, unless you are exempt (see “Exemptions” below).
If you do not have any of the following acceptable forms of ID, beginning June 26, 2013, you may apply for an Election
Identification Certificate (EIC) at no charge. However, if you already have any of the following forms of ID, you are not
eligible for an EIC:
• Texas driver license—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
• Texas identification card—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
• Texas concealed handgun license—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
• U.S. passport—unexpired or expired less than 60 days
• U.S. military identification with photo
• U.S. citizenship certificate with photo
• If you are voting by mail, you do not have to submit a photo ID.
• If you have a documented disability, you may apply at your county voter registrar for a permanent
exemption from the photo ID requirement. If approved, you will not need a photo ID to vote.
For more information on the types of exemptions available, please visit your county voter registrar or the Texas
Secretary of State.
Eligibility – To qualify for an EIC, you must be:
• Eligible to vote in Texas (show a valid voter registration card or submit a voter registration application to the
Department of Public Safety)
• A U.S. citizen
• A Texas resident
• 17 years and 10 months or older
How to Apply:
To apply for an EIC, visit a DPS driver’s license office and complete an Application for Texas Election Certificate (DL-14C).
Please bring documentation with you to verify your:
• U.S. citizenship
Expiration and Use – An EIC is valid for six years. There is no expiration date for certificates issued to citizens 70 years of
age or older.
Election Identification Certificates may only be used to vote and do not replace a Texas driver license or ID card. In
addition, an EIC will not be accepted to verify identity when applying for a Texas driver license or ID card.
Statutory Authority: The Texas Election Code 63.001(b) requires a photo ID in order to vote in Texas. The Texas
Transportation Code, Chapter 521A and 37 Texas Administration Code, Sections 15.181-185, authorizes DPS to issue
Election Identification Certificates.