Job Title: Maintenance Worker
Department: Public Works
Under general direction, the purpose of the position is to ensure the efficient operation, maintenance and repair of water distribution, wastewater collection system, City streets and related duties, and any other work assigned.
Under the direction of the Public Works Supervisor and/or Public Works Director.
Duties include, but not limited to, the following:
- Checks and maintains equipment to ensure proper function.
- Makes water and sewer taps and installs sewer cleanouts.
- Installs, services, and upgrades water and wastewater mains and lines.
- Installs and repairs sewer manholes.
- Installs valves and fire hydrants. Paints and maintains fire hydrants.
- Installs, changes, and reads water meters.
- Raises, lowers, repairs, and replaces meter boxes and valve boxes.
- Locates breaks, leaks, and clogs in utility lines for repair.
- Repairs leaks in utility lines.
- Excavates trenches for main placement; applies temporary patches to street surface following
- Ensures the safe operating conditions of the work site, i.e., traffic hazards, equipment
operation, required barricades, road and site areas.
- Call out and On-call rotation that will include some evenings and weekends.
- Operates equipment such as backhoes, front end loaders, jet trucks, dump trucks, generators,
water pumps, etc. to ensure the performance of tasks.
- Repairs potholes in City streets, City parking lots, etc.
- Repairs, replaces or installs City street signs.
- Coordinates with supervisor on material ordering and work plan for the work.
- Shall do saw cutting and removal of material when needed in City streets.
- Shall replace road material after excavation of roads due to utility repairs.
- Assists supervisor in all tasks as directed.
- Serves as supplemental help for other departments as directed by supervisor.
- Attends safety training and meetings.
- One (1) year previous experience and/or training involving the plumbing trade or
water/wastewater line repair; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with
the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job.
- Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License. Preferred valid Texas CDL or the ability to obtain within 12 months of employment.
- Class C Operator License preferred or the ability to obtain within 12 months of employment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: City Employee Handbook; addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action; exercising judgment required in situations characterized by repetitive or short cycle operations covered by set procedures or sequences.
Skills in: operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions; utilize a wide variety of reference data and information, such as water and sewer maps, work orders, carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
Ability to: be available for call out after hours and weekends as needed, perform coordinated movements involving placing and turning motions, such as operating a backhoe, front-end loader, ½ , ¾, or 1 ton truck, dump truck, water pump, probe rod, and various tools; compile, assemble, copy, record and/or transcribe data and/or information according to a prescribed schema or plan. Includes judging whether readily observable functional, structural or compositional characteristics are like or divergent from prescribed standards, procedures or routines; exchange information for the purpose of obtaining information or clarifying details. Performs such within well established policies, procedures and standards; exert heavy physical effort In heavy work, with greater emphasis on climbing and balancing, but typically also involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (35-80 pounds); may occasionally involve heavier objects and materials (up to 125 pounds); utilize visual and odor perception and discrimination.
Salary: Depending on qualifications